Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Cultural Performance


performance
Originally uploaded by mayavi.
At Kandy, we also happened to see a cultural show organised for tourists showcasing the various dance and music forms. The picture here is traditionally that of the soldiers before going for a war. I should say the "Mayillatam" - yes the same we have back in south India was awesome. It is the dance form derived majorly from the fact that Lord Karthikeyan travels on a peacock. "Mayil" in tamil stands for peacock. The ladies displayed amazing flexibility and the gents breathtaking agility. Pictures are not enough to do justice here, human eyes need to see it to feel it.

P.S:
In my earlier snap, I missed out on a trivia. At a buddhist temple or monastery, you never show your back to the Lord. Dont know the reason exactly, probably some kinda respect.

And this post completed my plan of Sri Lankan pictures and am kind of finishing it off fast. Quebec-Montreal trip pictures are coming soon.

I do have a lot of pictures from Sri Lanka, yet I hope I gave a taste of what Sri Lanka has to offer with the choice of my pictures here.

5 comments:

Monicaatje said...

Did u ever thought about advertisement?? Cuz u did a great job making me want to visit Sri Lanka ;)

Nice snap (although I had already seen it in Chik's blog).

che sara sara said...

red artist in blue backround...romba nalla erukku...

ESIH said...

Okay now they were some real nice pics..you make me wonder wht actually your job profile is or is just the vacations you go for...you keep visiting all sorts places...n nice ones at tht...:).

Enchanted Mind said...

Ok....On the records.....I'm a software engineer....and nothing more......I like to travel....and the sri lanka tour was a vacation for a couple of friends - the first vacation we ever spent outside India.
And as for Quebec/Montreal, I'm right now deputed on work to Canada and as try to roam as much as possible :-p

Enchanted Mind said...

Thanks & welcome Het!!

Well, any country and culture is beautiful I guess, only that we need to look at the beautiful side !!!