Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The complete painting


good one
Originally uploaded by mayavi.
Well, when I wrote abt sigiriya paintings, I had asked you to wait for Dambulla pictures. Here they are in their full grandeur. My camera was not enough to take a complete picture. I have few other ones but chose this picture to depict the intricacies of the same.

These paintings as to what we imagine are right on the roof above our head. I wonder how they would ahve painted it. have you ever tried painting a roof at your house. Your neck pains like hell after some time. But click on the picture and look close. You have a wonderful lining of intricate details painted all clearly. And add to the fact that it was painted on roof, it was painted on uneven surface as is visible. Nevertheless, the paintings did not ahve a shear or torn effect but the uneven surfaces were smoothly accounted for - as if someone drew it on a canvas and pasted it up like a well laid wall paper. Do any of you have any thoughts abt how they wld ahve done it? Another proof to my belief in
"The key to our future lies in our past" !!!

2 comments:

Monicaatje said...

Is that what u wanted me to see when u sent me the pic? To notice that it was painted on the roof? or on rock for that matter...

U know what I thought? I thought it was fabric :P cuz I saw it wasn't flat, but I thought it was a piece of fabric that fluttered :P

Beautiful picture ;)

NS said...

Wow! Painted on the roof? exquisite!